Sunday 29 May 2011

baby-sitting.

timid and thin
the little girl, curled into a ball
cries for her mother,
innocent eyes torn with anguish
she knows she has been forgotten again.

afraid of the dark
like most small ones are
but she fears more
the essence of the darkness
how it might change her
how she might not be
mummy's good little girl anymore
should the black mouth consume her.

she screams
i hold her hands, consoling
in every way my panicked mind
will reveal,
but my hands, as always,
the wrong size
she yearns for the delicate touch
from the mother she craves
my foolish disguise ripped away
by raw inadequecy
there was nothing i could do.

helpless, i felt her suffering
sobbing, she clung to the light switch
untrusting despite my promises
whilst my anger for her mother swelled
within me.

this poor child, i couldn't keep her safe
both of us waiting
for a release from this hell
i couldn't keep her safe,
as the sunlight descended
running from her pleas
i couldn't keep her safe,
as exhaustion shook me
and mistakes became inflamed.

and the little girl
timid and thin
cried for her mother
until she ran out of tears.

No comments: