Friday 18 March 2011

a single flame.

quiet, laid beside him
arms draped across his fragile body
eyes wide open
watching his chest rise, and fall
so afraid i might
pull him into me
squeeze too hard
and never let go
lightly tracing the
lacing rivers beneath his pale skin
a delicate heartbeat against my chest
a bond, thick and strong
it shakes my body
the pools of tears from my eyes
rollng down my face
they spill onto his cheek
he doesn't stir, he knows
such a force could kill us both, but somehow,
he is in control
his unfading trust in me allows me to love him
without dragging the world
down with us
i am set free in living for him
his safety and happiness are all i pursue
he turns
places a smaller hand on my neck
his touch burns
sets my heart alight
a single flame, keeping us alive
he is in control, i am his child
as i wept, this time
not for the darkness in a man's heart
but the light in a little boy's smile.

No comments: