Friday 20 April 2012

decaying inside.

What are you supposed to say?
In the face of death, your first encounter.
When, smiling, she looks straight at you; talking, walking, shaking your hand. How can it be so casual?
When, dying, she’s trying not to falter;
Waiting, praying, decaying inside.
Leaving everyone behind, because her body can’t fight anymore.
So many questions, so many reasons to live! But nowhere to hide, too little time to say all these things, those foreign, thoughtless words hanging on my lips. The air won’t form, I can’t speak, I’m too afraid that my foolish murmurs will knock her cold, or perhaps she might laugh because she’s not dying at all. Not really.
But she is.
I cry, because I’m the one that’s slipping on the smooth wet floor of a reality that wipes you off your feet, and she’s still standing, still smiling, til her very last breath. She’s so strong, and even that is not enough.
And to think, that could be the last time I ever see her.

No comments: