Friday 1 April 2011

the beach.

i watch them from afar. a boy and a girl, strangers, their faces unknown to me. trapped on a beach; grey, lifeless, stretching further than i could see. the roaring ocean, the empty sky, the smooth sands, all shades of limitless grey. the chains around their wrists, also grey.
    they stood behind a concrete wall, looking out at the bleak horizon, side by side. then the rain started. a monotonous drumming of water against pebble and stone. a boy and a girl, strangers, soaked to the skin, stood in silence behind a concrete wall.
    the soldiers came. thin, pallid, red eyes screaming pain and despair. they forbade any communication between the boy and the girl, forging a force of separation between them. other inmates, sallow skin, all of them, like butter spread over too much bread. they laughed and spat.
    the boy and the girl, strangers. they were innocent. they weren't supposed to be there. defenceless in the blood-stained hands of red-eyed soldiers.
    i couldn't watch anymore. it wasn't fair. the girl was torn away from my gaze, an iron grip on her arm. i reached out to touch her. a sudden click; the boy and the girl, strangers. they disappeared.
    left in their place. fear paralysed my body. i struggled against the soldiers. i spat back at the inmates. but afraid, always afraid. the only female on the beach; grey, lifeless. they hurt me. i could do nothing. left in their place.
    they were innocent. so was i. but i had to be here. i was guilty.
    dragged to the entrance gate. i saw my mother. she did not see me. her face, without expression. she was told her daughter was not here. she was told her daughter had been killed. the murderer was me. my mother's eyes. she turned and saw me. a cold, grey crack. as her hand hit my face.
    i screamed.
    take me home. take me back. take me away.
    she walked away. gone. she left me behind.
    thrown back into the sand. wet, cold sand. sticks to my skin. a heap on the floor. the tears fell. didn't understand. wanted to be left alone. wanted to be held.
    a boy, and a girl, strangers. my mother's eyes. they left me behind.
    lying in a heap, trapped on a beach; grey, lifeless, stretching further than i could see.

    shaking in the dark.

No comments: